Saturday, November 7, 2015

Day 7 of Decluttering Challenge

Morning session:
My linen closet is completely cleaned up and decluttered. WOO HOO!!! There are still things in my piles of laundry that will need to be dealt with and that's okay. There is plenty of space available to store what needs to be kept. 

Found another nice surprise while going through one little tub of old linens. I had completely forgotten that my mom had made a set of curtains to go with my quilt. She didn't really know how much "plain" fabric she would need for various parts of it. Also, it was one of her first and she was still working on what would go well together. Anyway, there is this pale moirĂ© print fabric that backs my quilt. She had TONS of it leftover. It got used for a number of things. Heck, I bet there is still some in her fabric tubs. ;-)

I didn't keep them. The color is damaged from the sunlight and I don't think that's something I can get corrected. I wasn’t thinking of using them as curtains but as material in the quilt I am going to make. I think thereis enough of that pattern in the original quilt mom made and in a few other items I have. So I lovingly put them in the recycling bin.

I rewarded myself with some reading time after the morning purge session. I've learned that I don't have to be all business. In fact, I can accomplish more if I take breaks and do things I love. I just have to find balance; it can't be all pleasure. So during the week there is no TV until after my 30 minutes are done. No feelings of guilt today while I enjoy my favorite past time because I already accomplished something. 

Another thing about rewards. I think it's important to celebrate a huge accomplishment. Finishing this challenge certainly falls in that category. As such, I have been thinking about buying all new bath towels when this is over. It might sound contrary to the task at hand; however, I do not own a full set of matching towels. I have one off pieces, all of which are old and some badly stained. I would get rid of those and only purchase what I actually need. Also, they have to be on sale at a good price because I want really nice ones. I'm thinking 3 or 4 bath towels, hand towels and wash cloths should be plenty. The question is whether I will get them in dark purple or plain white. Decisions, decisions, decisions!!!

Afternoon/evening session:
Finished the bedroom closet so the bedroom is almost done. Did a number of things in the living room so starting to make progress there. Got rid of a ton of expired medicine that's not even accounted for in the totals. Same goes with lotions and other toiletries that have been hanging on for far too long. 

I'll be taking another trip to Goodwill tomorrow. Two more bags and two more boxes.  I still think I have kept more than I should; however, I am okay with thinking of this as a first pass. I think once I have laid hands on everything and gotten all like objects together, I can make a more accurate assessment and determine limits.  There is still plenty more to do but I can see more floor, counter and shelf space than I have in a very long time. 

I am awed by how much I have gotten done in one week. Amazing!!!


TODAY OVERALL
DONATED: 50 222
TRASHED: 10 63
TOTAL: 60 285

No comments: